Tribal tattoos are considered to be the most popular tattoos that a person can ever wear on his or body. These tattoos have been the favorites of many men and women tattoo lovers in the past and even up to these days. But originally, these tattoos are only allowed to men, especially to those who belong to several tribes. Men in the tribes who have them are considered to be very powerful and strong. Meaning to say, these tattoos will be the ones being used to separate those powerless men to the powerful ones. But these days, a lot of highly skilled tattoo artists are making some extremely gorgeous innovations of these tattoos, making them perfect for all sexes and ages of today’s generation. A tribal tattoo is absolutely oozing with extreme beauty, which is the main reason why it is preferred by a lot of men and women tattoo lovers in the world. Aside from the incomparable beauty of the said tattoos, they are also packed with so much meanings and symbolisms.
Table of Contents
Origin of Tribal Tattoo Art
Tribal tattoos became subjects for criticisms in the past because of their association to a number of cultures in the world. Nevertheless, people became more open about tattooing in the 80’s until today that they become gorgeous body arts worn by many. Historically, the origins of these tattoos were those numerous ancient people in the world like Polynesians.
Symbolisms and Meanings of Tribal Tattoos
Tribal tattoos are just like any other tattoos out there that are extremely gorgeous and meaningful. Yes, these tattoos are not only for beautification purposes since these can convey a lot of meanings and symbolism, depending on the design of the entire tattoo. In relation to this, here are some of the symbolisms and meanings of these tattoos that you must keep in mind, especially if you are thinking of having them on your own body:
- Recognition –The number one thing that a tribal tattoo is symbolizing is recognition. This is very evident in the past years since such tattoo is used by a lot of tribes in the world in order to recognize the master or the leader of the tribes. In other words, if you have such tattoo, it simply means that you are very powerful in the tribe where you belong.
- Respect –The tribal tattoo also represents respect. Well, as what being said, such tattoo is usually worn by the tribal leaders that can be found in the entire world. These tribes have their own tribal designs. The tattoo is one thing that will tell the people that they should respect the wearer since it simply means power and high position in the tribes.
- Protection –Another thing that this tattoo is symbolizing is protection. This is also one reason why the tribal leaders wear such tattoo in order for them to be well protected at all times. They need to have a longer life since they need to lead the entire tribes to keep on going with their lives. In case you believe that tribal tattooscan really give extreme protection to the wearers, then why not wear them on your body.
- Power –Power is also believed to be one of the things that a tribal tattoo is symbolizing. The obvious explanation for this is the fact that such tattoo is originally worn by those powerful tribal leaders or those who have higher position in the tribal group they belong with.
- Healing –Another thing that you should know that a tribal tattoo is symbolizing is healing. During the ancient times, those people who were believed to have a unique healing power used to wear a tribal tattoo. This can be the reason why such tattoo is associated to healing even up to this very day.
- Fearlessness –Fearlessness is another thing that a tribal tattoo represents. Maybe, it is because of the fact that those tribal people in the past were known to be very brave and fearless, most especially the leaders of the tribes. Hence, if you want to show the world that you are a fearless type of a person, then wearing this tattoo is the best thing that you can do.
Placement of Tribal Tattoos
When we base it in the beliefs and traditions of many ancient people, tribal tattoos should be placed right there on your face. But these days, tribal tattoos have been added with some modern twists, and these can now be placed anywhere you want to. Here are some of the common placements of the tribal tattoos that you might want to take into account:
- Tribal Tattoo on Back – This is perfect for those bigger size of tribal tattoos since your back has a very wide space for tattooing. It might also be easy for the tattoo artist to engrave the design in this body part.
- Tribal Tattoo on Arms – Arms are elongated in size, so these are very good locations for your tribal tattoos. Remember that these tattoos usually have elongated sizes.
- Tribal Tattoo on Legs – In case you do not want to place the tattoos on your arms but you still need to place them in an elongated body area, then why not place them on your legs. There is no way they cannot be beautiful there.
- Tribal Tattoo on Thigh – In case you want your tattoos to appear not that very obvious, then you can consider placing them on your thigh.
- Tribal Tattoos on Chest – A lot of tribal tattoo lovers also consider placing the tattoo on their chest. The tattoo will only be visible when you are topless.
Celebrities Who Have Tribal Tattoos
There are lots of celebrities in the world who are being captivated by the beauty of a tribal tattoo. Some of the names of these celebrities are Dwayne Johnson, Rihanna has Maori art on her hand, Wesley Snipes, Angelina Jolie, and Pamela Anderson.
Popular Images of Tribal Tattoo Designs
Different Designs of Traditional Tribal Tattoos
Needless to say, a tribal tattoo is very important in a lot of tribes in the entire world. As a matter of fact, such tattoo came into existence because of those tribal people in the past years and even up to these days. The tattoo itself has a number of uses to these people. In relation to this, here are some of the beautiful designs of traditional tribal tattoosthat you might want to consider before having such tattoo on your own body:
- Polynesian Tribal Tattoo Design–As its name suggests, this tribal tattoo design originates from Polynesia, which is a group of islands that is exactly located in the Pacific Ocean. When a group of sailors arrived in Polynesia, they were captivated by the tribal tattoo that they wore it on their own body. They then brought it to their homeland somewhere in Europe, spreading the greatness of the tribal tattoo.
- Borneo Tribal Tattoo Design –Borneo is one beautiful island that can be found in Malaysia. There are lots of tribes living in this island, which are known to be the inventors of the Borneo tattoo design. Some of these tribes are the Kayan en Kenyah and the Iban tribes. The Kayan people are using carved skulls or carved wood blocks in order to engrave the tattoo design on their body. The Borneo tribal tattoo is known to be the protector of the wearer against diseases and pain.
- Hawaiian Tribal Tattoo Design–The Hawaiian tribal tattoo design is one of the most preferred tribal tattoosof many people in the entire world. It is simply because this design will involve a number of gorgeous tattoo motifs. Some of these motifs are animals, crescents, squares, and triangles. The popular animal motifs are the lizards and the sharks. The Hawaiian tribal tattoo is known to have a magical power, which is one reason why many men and women tattoo lovers are enticed to wear such tattoo design.
- Maori Tribal Tattoo Design –Another gorgeous tribal tattoo design that is considered by many is the Maori tribal tattoo design. For you to know, the Maori is actually a tribe that is living in the beautiful country of New Zealand. The Maori people are the ones who invented such tribal tattoo design. The truth is, Maori people are engraving such tattoo design on their body in order to show their family history.
- Marquesan Tribal Tattoo Design –The Marquesan tribal tattoo design actually originates in the French Polynesia, particularly in the group of islands of Marquesa. Just in case you do not know, there are so many tattoo artists in the world today who are greatly influenced by the Marquesan tribal tattoo. The common body parts where a Marquesan tribal tattoo design should be placed are ears, lips, shoulders, and hands.
- Native American Tribal Tattoo Design –The Native American tribal tattoo design is another extremely beautiful tattoo design that is gaining more and more popularity these days. The tattoo design originates from the American Indians. The tattoo is used for identification purposes of these people. They also believed that this tattoo is a great symbol of praise and protection. The usual Native American tribal tattoo design involves mythical creatures, feathers, and animals such as snakes, bears, and eagles.
- Chinese Tribal Tattoo Design –It cannot be denied that there were some undesirable things that were involved in the history of Chinese tattoos. Even so, this does not stop the people from idolizing the Chinese tribal tattoo design. The most famous Chinese tribes that are known to be the origins of the tattoo are the Li, Drung, and Dai tribes.
- Aztec Tribal Tattoo Design –The truth is, the Aztec tribe is also one of those people who belong to Native Americans. The tribe was very famous in the Central American where they used to live way back on the 13th up to the 16th The Aztec tribal tattoo was used by them in order to differentiate their own tribe to some other tribes. It was also worn by the Aztec people in order to show the rank of the warriors in the tribe.
- Taino Tribal Tattoo Design – The inventors of the very beautiful Taino tribal tattoo were the Taino people. These ancient people were actually Indians. They used to live in a number of parts in the Caribbean. Some of these places were Puerto Rico, The Bahamas, Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Cuba, and Haiti. For the Taino culture, the tattoos were only worn by men, and women wore piercings. The Taino tribal tattoo symbolizes the expression of faith to God.
- Haida Tribal Tattoo Design – The Haida tribal tattoo design was invented by those tribes who used to live on the North America’s west coast. As its name suggests, these indigenous people were known to be the Haidas. For these people, the Haida tribal tattoo was used in order to determine the social status of the person as well as to symbolize the crest of the family.
There is no question why tribal tattoos are the most preferred body tattoos of many people in the entire world. Aside from the fact they can give gorgeous appearance to the wearers, these tattoos are also rich in history, which made them extremely interesting body arts.