From its name itself, an old school tattoo is a traditional tattoo that involves a number of conventional designs and patterns. Of course, such tattoo is completely different to the modern day tattoos. It usually involves bold lines and designs. The entire design is made up of bold pictures that are colored with solid colors like black and blue. The truth is, the old school tattoos can be easily identified through their own colors being used by the tattoo artists. Most of the time, the tattoos would have green and red colors that have some touches of blue, purple, brown, and yellow apart from the very common black color. However, even though it is a conventional tattoo, it cannot be denied that it is still in trend even up to these days. As a matter of fact, a lot of tattoo lovers in the world love to have this kind of tattoo when compared to the modern day tattoos.
Table of Contents
Some Famous Tattoo Artists for Old School Tattoo
Just in case you do not know, there are a lot of names that can be associated when it comes to an old school tattoo. These are those famous excellent tattoo artists who have invented a lot of gorgeous designs for tattoos including some beautiful designs intended for the traditional tattoos. Here are some of these famous tattoo artists that you should know who really made a big difference in the tattooing world:
- Norman Keith Collins – Norman Keith Collins used to be a very famous American tattoo artist who was born in the US state of Nevada. He was amongst those high caliber tattoo artists who really made the traditional American tattoos extremely popular in the world. Most of the people who came to him just to have some tattoos on their body were the sailors. This was the main reason why he was famously called “Sailor Jerry”.
- Amund Dietzel – Another name that became very popular because of the old school tattoos and some other kinds of tattoos was Amund Dietzel. He was a Norwegian-born tattoo artist, but he later on moved to the United States where he experienced a great fame when it comes to tattooing. He was considered to be one of the fathers of the American tattoos.
- Herbert Hoffmann – Herbert Hoffmann was actually a Swiss tattoo artist who became famous in the entire world because of his excellent contributions in the tattooing world. It was during the 1930s when he began making a great name in the world of tattoos. He started in the beautiful country of Germany. Because of his excellent tattoo works, he was featured in the movie titled “Blue Skin” way back in the year 2004, along with his co-tattoo artists named Albert Cornelissen and Karlmann Richter.
- Bob Shaw – Bob Shaw was an American tattoo artist who was also a big part in spreading the greatness of an old school tattoo. Without his great contributions, old school tattoos would not be that popular in the past and even up to these days. He actually learned a lot in tattooing in St. Louis, Missouri with the help of the famous tattoo artist named Bert Grimm. Because of his excellence when it comes to tattooing, he became the National Tattoo Association’s president way back in the year 1983 up to 1988.
- Bert Grimm – Of course, who would not know about Bert Grimm. He was considered to be one of the fathers of the American tattoos that became extremely famous worldwide. He actually started doing tattoos in St. Louis, Missouri but he decided to move to Long Beach, California to set up his very own tattoo shop. There are lots of sailors and some other tattoo lovers who came to his shop and get tattooed with the most gorgeous tattoo designs they loved. In the year 1970 however, he sold his own tattoo shop to his colleague, Bob Shaw.
Famous Gorgeous Designs for Old School Tattoo
Just like the other kinds of tattoos available these days, an old school tattoo also has a lot of things to offer when it comes to designs. All of these designs are assured to be extremely gorgeous that you might love to have all of them engraved on your body. If you are very curious about these designs, then here are some of them that you should know:
- Eagle Tattoo Design – One of the most famous old school tattoos is the eagle tattoo design. It used to be a very meaningful and gorgeous tattoo design of the ancient American culture. According to the ancient American people, this tattoo design is symbolizing dedication, freedom, and strength. In case you want to change the meaning of your eagle old school tattoo, then you can possibly add some more designs like quotes or words.
- Rose Tattoo Design – As its name suggests, this particular design will involve an image of a rose flower. There is no way such design will not look good to any wearer since a rose flower is extremely beautiful in nature. It is also a very meaningful tattoo design. The common thing being represented by this design is love or passion. There are several variations of this particular design such as rose tattoo that is incorporated with names and words, tribal rose tattoo, and black rose tattoo.
- Pin Up Tattoo Design – Another very common design for old school tattoos that is really patronized by a lot of tattoo lovers in the world is the pin up tattoo design. The pin up girls tattoos are definitely the craze in the past and even up to these days, especially to numerous men tattoo lovers in the entire world. Such design would really be very sexy, which is why it is loved by boys. Even so, it takes time in engraving such design on your body.
- Anchor Tattoo Design – Of course, who would forget about the anchor tattoo design? Apart from the fact that it is a very gorgeous design of the old school tattoos, this is also extremely meaningful. The things being represented by this particular tattoo design are belief, hope, faith, and determination. There are so many people who make this particular design extremely famous especially famous celebrities in the world. The image of an anchor will also look very gorgeous when incorporated with some other beautiful sub designs such as hearts, ropes, and roses.
- Native American Tattoo Design – The Native American tattoo design is considered to be a very important component of the old school tattoos. This particular design is being associated to a lot of cultures in the world, not only for the Native American culture. Of course, this design can also be very meaningful depending on the entire design of the tattoo. Some of the most common sub designs of the Native American tattoo are animals, feathers, dreamcatchers, arrows, compass and a lot more.
Popular Pictures Of Old School Tattoos
Popular Placements for Old School Tattoos
Here are some of the common placements for the old school tattoos:
- Old School Tattoo Tattoos on Arms – Your arms are said to be the perfect locations for your old school tattoo. You can decide if you will place it on the right arm, left arm, elbow, wrist, or in any other parts of the arms.
- Old School Tattoo on Chest – A lot of old school tattoo lovers also consider placing the tattoo on their chest. The tattoo will only be visible when you are topless.
- Old School Tattoo on Hips – Another good location that you can consider for a old school tattoo is the hips. Such placement can emphasize the beauty of their own hips, making it to be one of their body assets.
- Old School Tattoo on Back – When you want it to be seen by the other people around you, you can just cover it with your shirt.
- Old School Tattoo on Wrist–The number one body part that you can place your old school tattoo is your wrist. You can have it in both of your left and right wrists.
- Old School Tattoo on Feet – Lot of ordinary people and celebrities are having a old school tattoo on this particular body placement.
- Old School Tattoo on Legs – Legs are also perfect locations for a old school tattoo. Legs are normally longer, so the particular illusion that you want to show with your tattoo can surely be achieved.
- Old School Tattoo on Stomach – Another perfect placement for this tattoo is stomach. This is a common option of many women tattoo lovers in the world who consider having old school tattoos.
- Old School Tattoo on Thigh –If you want to have your old school tattoos not that obvious to some other people, you can choose to place them on your thighs.
Without a doubt, there will be unlimited options for you when it comes to an old school tattoo. Meaning to say, there are a lot of extremely gorgeous designs that you can choose from. These designs are not only very gorgeous, but also extremely meaningful. Hence, before choosing one, make sure that you already know what message you want to tell to the other people through your old school tattoos.