For you to know, Japanese tattoos have been the favorites of many people all over the world when it comes to tattooing for quite a long time already. These are the popular choices of many in the past years and even up to these days when it comes to gorgeous body adornments. The truth is, it is never that hard to recognize a Japanese tattoo since there are several things that will determine that it is a Japanese tattoo. One is the fact that it is usually a huge body art. Yes, it simply means that a Japanese tattoo will normally have huge gorgeous designs of tattoos. Because of this, this will also require you to have a wider body part where the tattoo will be engraved. If you want to have unique tattoo, a Japanese tattoo would also be perfect. Such tattoo also involves so much details, making it to be a challenge to your hired professional artist.
Table of Contents
A Look Back on the Japanese Tattoos
Needless to say, Japanese tattoos have their very own rich history. It is greatly being associated to the Japanese culture in the past years and even up to these days. Ancient Japanese people decided to wear these tattoos for spiritual and societal reasons. These tattoos were even widely used in determining the social status of a certain Japanese individual. The truth is, these people were incorporating their superstitious beliefs in creating a design for their tattoos. This was the main reason why the Japanese culture would be nothing without the existence of the ever gorgeous and meaningful Japanese tattoo. Regarding the social status, Japanese people in the past were using these tattoos when it comes to slavery. Yes, it might be a sad thing to know, but slavery was very rampant in the past. These tattoos used to separate the slaves from their masters.
From the slaves and their masters, these tattoos were then passed on several other groups of Japanese people like the world renowned Japanese Mafia and the Yakuza. These groups of people had huge involvement in the severe crimes happened in the entire Japan in the past years. Their notoriousness had even reached some other parts of the world. This goes to show that Japanese tattoos were being associated to both good and bad matters, as far as their history is concerned.
Popular Images Of Japanese Tattoos
Popular Japanese Tattoo Designs And Their Meanings
Just like the other tattoos available to be engraved on your body these days, the Japanese tattoos can also offer you a lot of things when it comes to designs. You might be surprised how beautiful these designs are. Even so, these designs usually require a lot of work and expertise from the professional tattoo artists that you will hire. With his or her expertise, you can be sure that you will have the tattoos that you really want the most. Here are some of the popular gorgeous designs for these tattoos that you will definitely like to have on your own body:
- Dragon Japanese Tattoo Design – The dragon is a mythical creature that plays a very important role in the Japanese culture, especially when it comes to Japanese tattoo. A lot of people are afraid of the dragons since they are known to spit some fire that is enough to melt an entire city. They are also very huge creatures that are known for their ferocity and strength. This is the main reason why many people have this belief that messing with the dragons or getting near to them will put your lives at risk. Even so, did you know that dragons are considered to be the protectors of mankind in the Japanese culture? This is the main reason why a dragon Japanese tattoo design is very popular among those men and women tattoo lovers in the entire world. If you want to tell the world that you have a good heart and you are a very brave type of a person, then having this design of a Japanese tattoo would be perfect for you.
- Japanese Koi Fish Tattoos – Koi fish is a Japanese carp that is very cute and can also be eaten like some other edible fishes on earth that is the reason Koi fish tattoos are one of those extremely famous animal tattoos in the world these days.
- Phoenix Japanese Tattoo Design – In the Japanese culture, the phoenix has a very strong connection to the dragon since they are both popular mythical creatures. This is the main reason why the phoenix Japanese tattoo design came into existence. Even though they have huge connections to each other, they still have different meanings. Just in case you do not know, phoenix was actually a regular bird at first. But after it was consumed by a huge fire, the bird was transformed into a phoenix and became extremely powerful. This is the main reason why this design is known to represent survival and triumph. If you are also like the phoenix who has overcome something big in life, then choosing the phoenix Japanese tattoo design is the best thing that you can do.
- Snake Japanese Tattoo Design – There are a lot of people in the world who strongly believe that snake is a symbol of Satan. This animal is known to represent evilness and betrayal. Even so, did you know that a snake is a sacred animal to the ancient Japanese people? This is the main reason why the snake Japanese tattoo design is extremely famous these days. These people believe that it is signifying good luck. Many people wear a snake Japanese tattoo because they believe that it can help them save themselves from the horror of bad fortune. This is also one of the reasons why many people in the world are feeding the snakes that they have captured and made as pets because they believe that these animals can help them achieve a good fortune in life. This belief has of course, started in the ancient Japanese people.
- Japanese Tiger Tattoo – Tiger tattoos occupy an important place in the Japanese tattoo art as tiger is considered as sacred animal in their culture.
- Japanese Skull Tattoo – Skull has its own importance in their culture as Skull represent death as well as the cycle of life and death in a positive light.
- Samurai Tattoo Designs – Such body adornment has a very important role in the Japanese culture, especially during the ancient times. Samurai was the general term used for those warriors in Japan during the Medieval times.
- Japanese Yakuza Tattoo Designs – Yakuza stands for the Japanese mafia or gang and most of the members of the community are tattooed. They bear these tattoos to represent their masculinity as well as devotion to the gang the belong.
- Fu-Dog Japanese Tattoo Design – Fu-Dog is another creature that is very popular in the Japanese culture. It is made to be a very gorgeous design for a Japanese tattoo that will surely stir the interest within you. Actually, fu-dog is not only famous in the Japanese culture, but in the Chinese culture as well. For you to know, the fu-dog is an image of a lion and a dog. Isn’t that very unique? This image is even displayed in the entrances of the holy Japanese and Chinese shrines. Some people have this belief that this tattoo is very helpful in warding off evil spirits. This will also mean that you are not afraid to protect what is yours.
- Japanese Kanji Tattoo – Another popular Japanese tattoo is the Kanji design, which is the lettering used as a part of this language.
- Japanese Wave Tattoo – Japan has always shown great determination, coming back strong after each destructive event such as destructive tsunamis or tidal waves. Similarly, the wave tattoo stands for courage, strength and survival in the most adverse situation.
Japanese tattoos are definitely very gorgeous when engraved on someone’s body. Aside from that, they are also extremely meaningful, depending on the design. Thus, it is no longer surprising why these tattoos are the popular choices of many when it comes to body adornments. If you want to have these tattoos, there are a lot of designs that you can consider such as the snake Japanese tattoo design, the phoenix Japanese tattoo design, the dragon Japanese tattoo design, and the Fu-Dog Japanese tattoo design. In choosing a design however, you have to take into account your physical appearance as well as your main purpose of having the tattoo. Always keep in mind that you also need to consider your own unique personality in choosing a design. Make sure that it complements your own personality.